Thank you for partnering with us to share the work of the Long Beach Public Library and Foundation with the people of Long Beach. If you have a request or feedback, please contact Molly Lewis at 562-628-2441, or by email. You’ll find general information and links to press pieces on the Foundation below:
- Patrons checked out 1.2 million items from the library system in 2016.
- Patrons accessed 5.4 million library resources last year.
- The library system issued 261,519 new library cards in 2016.
Family Learning Centers
- Paid volunteers provide homework help and online resources for students in each branch, supported by the Foundation’s funds.
Hours vary by branch.
- 9,553 unique visitors attended the Family Learning Centers 2016 (as of November).
- Volunteers spent 7,000 hours helping students with assignments.
- A makerspace in the Main Library featuring 3-D printers, design equipment and offering free classes each week for the public about zines, 3-D design as well as e-books and tablets.
- 2,758 library patrons visited The Studio in 2015.
- Located in the Main Library, a place for children with special needs with specialized books, toys, and events.
- Items include sensory bins, adaptive apps and multisensory reading experiences to encourage literacy and education in all children.
The Information Center for People with Disabilities
Located in the Main Library, an award-winning resource providing adaptive technology, such as specialized computers for people with special needs.
The Michelle Obama Neighborhood Library:
The Mayor’s Book Club: